This article applies to non-LEDES invoices only; click here for information on LEDES invoices.
A credit is a specified amount due back from a vendor firm to the client based on billing guidelines or other predetermined terms. You can add credits to an invoice in one of two ways: with a task code or without a task code. Please confirm with your client whether a specific task code is required when adding credits to an invoice per their billing rules.
NOTE: A discount is an amount that is being deducted from an invoice for reasons determined by the firm. For instructions on how to add a discount to a non-LEDES/manual invoice, click here.
credit with a task code
Add an invoice line item with the following details to add a credit with a task code:
1. Click + Line Item below the invoice details section.
2. Select IF - Flat Fee for Type.
3. Set the date within the invoice's billing period and add a description (note: make sure to include the word "credit" to help the client easily identify the line item type).
4. Search for and select the relevant option from the Task Code drop-down as specified by the client.
NOTE: If the code provided by the client is not listed, select the Create option at the bottom of the list. Do not create your own custom codes; select or create only codes specified by the client.
5. Enter 1 for Unit and then enter the credit amount as a negative number.
6. Click Save.
The total amount listed for the line items added will reflect the credit as shown in the example below:
credit without a task code
Below is an example of an invoice line item as a credit without a task code:
- Type: Select IF - Flat Fee
- Date: Select date the work was completed
- Description: Indicate this is a credit line item with negative cost
- Units: Enter '1' to multiply the total of the cost by 1
- Cost: Enter a minus (-) before the credit line amount to calculate the negative line item total