Before submitting non-LEDES invoices, please confirm whether timekeeper upload in CounselGO is required per the client's billing rules and guidelines. We also recommend verifying any matter IDs and/or specific task, activity, or expense codes that are required to submit invoices.
Creating a Non-LEDES Invoice
1. Go to the client's record in CounselGO and click New Invoice in the top navigation bar.
2. Click I don't have LEDES files if you have already confirmed the client's billing guidelines.
3. Enter all required invoice details marked with red asterisks (*): Invoice Number, Invoice Description, Invoice Date, Billing Period, and Currency (entering additional comments is optional). To prevent data loss, we recommend keeping the Invoice Description to 200 characters or fewer.
NOTE: If you are resubmitting a previously rejected invoice, you can link the updated/corrected version to the original invoice. For instructions, click here.
4. Click Upload Files on the right side to attach a PDF version of the invoice and/or any other required documentation.
NOTE: Uploaded invoice attachments are automatically scanned for viruses. If one or more files do not pass the scan, the invoice will be marked as Invalid upon submission.
5. Scroll down and choose the name of the associated matter from Select Client Matter or select Other if the referred matter ID is not required.
NOTE: Selecting Other only applies for clients who allow vendors to create matters that have not already been set up in SimpleLegal. Click here for additional details.
6. Enter the Firm Matter ID.
7. Click +Line Item and fill in required/requested information.
Fields marked with asterisks (*) are required to add the line item:
- Type*: Line item billing type (e.g., hourly fee, expense, flat fee, expense).
- Timekeeper: If applicable, the name of the person who completed the work. This is required when adding line items for hourly billable work.
- Date*: Date the billable service/work occurred.
- Description of Services*: Comments/notes about the service/work completed.
- Expense / Activity / Task Code: If applicable, code associated with the type of work/service.
- Units/Hours*: Number of billable hours (e.g., enter '1' for flat fees or fixed costs).
- Cost*: Hourly rate or flat fee.
- Adj: If applicable, any adjustments for the line item.
Click here for examples of different line item types for non-LEDES invoices in CounselGO.
8. Select Tax if applicable and enter the Tax Rate and Tax Type.
NOTE: CounselGO auto-calculates the Line Total; it cannot be entered manually. To set a flat fee or fixed cost, enter 1 as the the Unit and then enter the rate for Cost.
9. Click Save and Add Another to enter additional line items or click Save to go back to the invoice.
Saving an Invoice as a Draft
Make sure to click Save Invoice above the general details section of the invoice if you are not ready to submit it to client. Leaving the page without saving the invoice will discard all data entered.
Any saved invoices can be accessed later by going to the Invoices dashboard for that client record in CounselGO and clicking on Draft Invoices.
Submitting an Invoice
If the invoice is ready to go, click Submit to Client in the top-right corner of the invoice.
Before submitting, please consider the following:
- Make sure to review all entries, line items, and attachments for accuracy and consistency, including verifying that invoice amounts and any discounts match PDF attachments.
- If an invoice with attachments does not pass the file virus scan, the status will change to Invalid and you will receive an email notification indicating that files were flagged as malicious.
- Once submitted, invoices cannot be recalled or edited; please contact the client directly to request that they reject the invoice if any changes or adjustments are required.
For additional information on statuses invoices go through once submitted, click here.