Using SimpleLegal’s Budget Request functionality, legal departments request budget proposals from you, their vendor, to estimate the cost of upcoming work. You can collaborate and approve a budget, which provides both parties with predictable accounting of future activities. For an introduction to budget proposals, see our QuickStart Guide.
When a client requests a budget proposal, they select an email address to receive notification of the request. One or more of your contacts receive email with a link to view the request within CounselGO. The recipient can click a link in the email or can go to the All Budget Proposals page.
- From within CounselGO choose the client to work with.
- From the left navigation bar, click the Budgets icon. All budget requests sent from this client show in a table.
The following information displays on this page.
Field Description Name Name of the budget request, as entered by a SimpleLegal user. Type
Budgets can be:
- Life of Matter. This categorizes the breakdown of funds within the proposal.
For budget type of Phase, you will work with phases identified in the UTBMS codes. These codes, maintained and developed by the Legal Electronic Data Exchange Standard (LEDES) Oversight Committee, were designed to standardize the categorization of legal services and expenses so that legal work and the associated costs could be easily identified and analyzed.
- Your Action Required - new request
- Proposed - proposal sent to client
- Approved - client accepts current budget; it can be invoiced against
- Rejected - proposal requires modification; review it for any comments and recommendations
Matter Client matter name. This may differ from the matter name recorded in your systems. Created Date Date the budget request was created in SimpleLegal. Due Date Date the client requests the budget proposal be submitted.
IMPORTANT! Once a proposal is submitted, it cannot be edited until the proposal is rejected or updated budget numbers are requested.
- Track spend against a budget
- Submit a budget proposal
- Resubmit a budget proposal
Contact Us: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any other questions and we are happy to help.