Please make sure to review instructions on how to create a non-LEDES invoice and add line items in CounselGO before moving forward with this article.
how to use the tax rate for non-LEDES invoices
A tax rate can be applied to any line item in an invoice by clicking Taxable in the Add New Line Item window. The tax rate must be entered as a decimal (e.g., 6% = .6).
NOTE: There is only one field for tax rate per line item. If you have to add multiple tax rates for one line item, you must enter the sum of the tax rates into the field. For example, if charging GST = 5% and PST = 8%, enter the sum of both tax rates (13%) as a decimal: 0.13.
To enter a tax rate:
1. Click + Line Item from the second half of the invoice page.
2. Enter all details: type, timekeeper, date, description, units/hours, and cost/rate.
3. Select the Taxable box and enter the Tax Rate as a decimal (e.g., 0.15).
4. Enter the Tax Type per tax standards and then click Save or Save and Add Another.
- GST = goods and services tax
- HST = harmonized sales tax
- PST = provincial sales tax
- VAT = value-added tax
NOTE: If entering more than one tax rate, type acronyms for both in the Tax Type field. For example, if charging 5% GST and 8% PST, then the tax rate = 0.13 and then tax type = GST and PST.
CounselGO auto-calculates the total of the line item in the bottom-right corner based on values entered for hours/units, cost/rate, adjustments, and tax rate.
Once the line item is saved, the invoice details page auto-calculates the net value, tax, and total.