This article assumes you are familiar with submitting an invoice. If not, see the corresponding article.
How to use Tax Rate on non-LEDES invoices
When submitting an invoice manually, a tax rate can be applied to any line item.
IMPORTANT! There is only one field for tax rate. Therefore, you may have to add multiple taxes together to get them in one field.
For example, you may need to charge GST and PST taxes (GST = (5%) and PST = 8%). In that case, enter the tax rate is the total of both, or 13%, listed as a decimal: 0.13.
To enter in a tax rate on a line item:
- Click New Invoice at the top of any page of CounselGO.
- Click I don't have a LEDES file to enter the invoice information manually.
- Enter the invoice details at the top of the page.
- Click +Line Item.
- Enter all the details - the Type, Timekeeper and Description, the Date, Units/Hours and Cost/Rate.
- Tick the Taxable box.
- Enter in the Tax Rate as a decimal number (e.g., for 15%, enter .15.)
- Enter in the Tax Type.
From the example above, the vendor could type "GST and PST" to inform you that two types of tax were added together. Here are a few common tax acronyms.
- GST - goods and services tax
- HST - harmonized sales tax
- PST - provincial sales tax
- CounselGO performs the multiplies the hours by the rate to get a subtotal. Then, it multiplies the subtotal by the tax rate and adds that amount to the subtotal to get the grand total for the line item.
- Click Save.
The Invoice Details area updates the net value and the tax as well as the grand total.
After including all invoice line items and details, you can click Save Invoice or Submit to Client.
Contact Us: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any other questions. We are happy to help.