This article is exclusively for vendors whose clients allow them to submit invoices for new matters that have not yet been created in SimpleLegal or invoiced on through CounselGO.
- Invoices require timekeepers. Make sure to set up your timekeepers before attempting to submit invoices.
- Many clients require that a PDF copy of the invoice be submitted with the LEDES formatted file. Please discuss their billing guidelines with your client before invoicing.
Non-LEDES (Manual) Invoices
Based on the client's SimpleLegal installation, you may be able to create a new matter when submitting an invoice. To create a new matter with an invoice:
- Click the New Invoice (top right) button. The New Invoice page opens.
- Click I don't have LEDES files. The Manual Invoice page opens.
- In the top panel, enter in invoice details.
- Add Attachments to upload a PDF of the invoice or other evidence.
- Select Client Matter... drop-down list choose "Other" and enter your Firm Matter ID.
- Click the + Line Item button. The Add New Line Item pop-up window opens enabling you to fill in the line item information.
- Complete the required fields on this page.
- Click Save and Add Another to continue adding line items or click Save if there are no more line items to be added.
- After you have added all of the line items, please review the entries.
- When the invoice is ready, click Submit To Client (top of the Manual Invoice page).
New Matter with a LEDES Formatted Invoice
(https://ledes.org/) Formats 1998B and 1998BI are supported.
With LEDES invoices you must build the LEDES file with the following information:
- Include your firm's assigned matter code in the LAW_FIRM_MATTER_ID field.
- Add the new matter name in the INVOICE_DESCRIPTION field.
Make sure that the Invoice Description (matter name) that will be used accurately reflects the new matter name and is not left blank. (Avoid naming it things like 'general' or 'for services rendered' unless intended).
- Include a unique CLIENT_MATTER_ID to the LEDES file using the LEDES billing software if the client requires a Client Matter ID.
Not all clients require this, but if unsure, please check with the client to confirm what their billing guidelines require.
LAW_FIRM_MATTER_ID and CLIENT_MATTER_ID are included in order to provide a key for differentiating between various matters being billed.
Detailed instructions for uploading LEDES Invoices can be found in the CounselGO Quickstart Guide.
Results - Approved/Created/Referred
Whether LEDES or non-LEDES, upon submitting the invoice for this new matter in CounselGO, the client will see it in SimpleLegal. Once the invoice has been submitted, SimpleLegal creates the matter. The matter will be identified as 'new', and the client can begin their review and approval process.
Upon being approved by the client, a new Client Matter ID will be generated for this matter (ex. acme-12345). You will need to use this ID when invoicing on the matter in the future.
- For creating matters in SimpleLegal, please refer to the Matter Management area of the help.simplelegal.com section.
Contact Us: Please contact email@example.com for any other questions. We are happy to help.