NOTE: This article applies only to vendors whose clients allow them to submit invoices for new matters that have not yet been created in SimpleLegal or previously invoiced through CounselGO. This depends on the client's SimpleLegal environment and other configurations. Please make sure to confirm the process flow with your client before moving forward.
non-LEDES / manual invoices
The steps below cover how to create a new matter when working on and submitting a manual invoice. For more detailed instructions on creating non-LEDES invoices, click here.
1. Click New Invoice in the top navigation bar from the client's record in CounselGO.
2. Click I don't have LEDES files from the pop-up dialog box.
3. Enter all requested/required invoice details and upload the PDF attachment or other documentation.
4. From the Select Client Matter drop-down, choose Other and then enter the Firm Matter ID.
5. Add the invoice line item(s) and then submit when finished.
LEDES formatted invoices
The following information must be included in a LEDES formatted invoice if invoicing for a new matter. For additional instructions on submitting LEDES invoices in CounselGO, click here.
NOTE: Formats 1998B and 1998BI V2 are supported (https://ledes.org/).
- LAW_FIRM_MATTER_ID*: Add firm's assigned matter code.
- INVOICE_DESCRIPTION: Enter a name for the new matter (required); this field cannot be left blank and should not include vague or generic terms unless intended/instructed.
- CLIENT_MATTER_ID*: Include a unique ID using the LEDES billing software if required by client; this is not required by all clients, but billing guidelines should be confirmed.
*These two fields are included to differentiate between various matters being billed.
next steps & considerations
Upon submitting the invoice for the new matter, a draft matter is created in SimpleLegal and the client is notified that review and approval is required.
client matter ID
If the matter is approved and moves forward, a new new Client Matter ID will be generated and must be used for any future invoicing for the matter via CounselGO. Please confirm you are using the correct ID for any invoices you submit for this matter moving forward.